Skip links

What Causes Mold in Your Home?

Mold – a word homeowners hate and fear. A very significant portion of households within the United States struggle with controlling, preventing, and getting rid of mold. This is all due to several conditions within the home that give mold the perfect breeding ground to spread. Not everyone is medically diagnosed as “allergic” to mold, but this doesn’t mean that everyone can’t have some sort of reaction to breathing in mold spores. With all of this being said, it is important to take every measure possible to prevent mold from growing in your home, so let’s take a deeper look at some of the conditions within the home that allow this fungus to thrive.

Limited Windows

Rooms without windows don’t necessarily cause mold, but well-lit rooms that get a good amount of sunshine throughout the day are less likely to have issues pertaining to mold growth. This is because the UV rays from the sun create conditions within a room that make it hard for mold to survive. 

Excessive Insulation

The right amount of insulation in attics and crawl spaces can help in preventing moisture and condensation. However, too much insulation can allow moisture and heat to actually become trapped and therefore initiate mold growth within the insulation itself. Even though this material usually stays either above or below your living space, it does not mean moldy insulation can’t be harmful to your health and well being. Keep a yearly check on your insulation to make sure it is not becoming moldy.

All Things Water and Moisture

Moisture creates the ideal atmosphere for mold to flourish. This can be anything from a leak in a pipe, appliance, or roof, an excessively humid room, too much condensation, and floods within the living spaces or crawl spaces. If you notice your bathroom mirror staying foggy and condensated for a long time after your shower, look into getting your vent or fan replaced by a professional. Also, we recommend that you or a professional thoroughly assess the conditions of your roof, attic, and crawl space at least once a year to ensure there are no leaks. That way if there is an issue, it doesn’t get too out of hand or put you and your family’s health at risk. 

It doesn’t even take 24 hours for mold to begin growing in a water-damaged or highly moist area, so if you notice severe moisture or water damage, call the professionals at Rocky Top Restoration immediately. Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week because we understand that home emergencies don’t stay on a business schedule. We look forward to helping you and helping your home. 

Leave a comment