It’s normal to feel on edge when filing a water damage insurance claim. You might worry about the process, asking questions like: Is it going to take a long time? Is it worth the hassle? Will it help me save money?
Water damage can be quite expensive. The average cost of a water damage request is about $11,098, according to Forbes. You might not have that kind of money sitting in your bank account, and that’s why filing a claim with your insurance could help.
Filing a Damage Claim
Filing a claim can seem intimidating and even confusing, but there are five tips that can make the filing process easier:
- Reach Out to Your Agent Immediately
- Don’t sit on the claim for weeks. Agents have essential paperwork to start and need to contact adjusters to evaluate the damages. Waiting could complicate the claim process, so call your insurance agent as soon as you can.
- Make Critical Repairs Right Away
- If it’s safe, start repairs immediately. You should submit any receipts to your insurance agent after you begin repairs. Keeping this information handy will help you when requesting a reimbursement.
- Welcome the Insurance Claim Adjuster
- The insurance adjuster must report the condition of your property and document the damages to approve your request. When it’s time for the adjuster to visit your property, you should be prepared with necessary paperwork and a list of questions.
- Locate Remediation Technicians
- Water damage can lead to secondary problems such as mold, so contact a professional remediation crew in Knoxville, TN, to get an inspection. Request documentation from the remediation crew and submit those findings to your agent. The insurance agent will compare this information to the adjuster’s.
- Establish Healthy Communication
- Insurance companies have procedures to follow. Spend time asking your agent questions about those procedures. Maintain regular contact through email or phone calls and consistently update the office on the status of your property.
Help After Water Damage
Don’t be afraid to seek help when you experience water damage on your property. Filing a water damage claim with your insurance agent to help ease the stress. With strong communication and solid evidence, you can seek financial assistance and minimize frustrations.