To begin, what really is black mold? Black mold is a general term that refers to several types of mold that have a dark green or black appearance. Black mold’s scientific name is Stachybotrys chartarum, so it is just easier to call it black mold. This mold’s growth occurs when there is moisture from water damage, water leaks, condensation, water infiltration, or flooding. The more moisture, the more the fungus grows. Black mold can be dangerous because it can risk your health if you are consistently exposed. That is why it is crucial to have any mold removed from your home, which is what we, at Rocky Top Restoration, specialize in. So, what are some of the health risks that come from exposure to black mold?
Allergy and Irritation
Symptoms such as a runny nose, watery eyes, a dry cough, skin rashes, sore throat, sinusitis, and wheezing can be experienced if you are exposed to black mold. Severe mold allergies can cause more severe symptoms such as shortness of breath. Mold exposure may worsen asthma or lung problems if you suffer from any preexisting conditions.
If you have a weakened immune system, you are at risk of a fungal infection from mold exposure. If you have a healthy immune system, it should not be too much of a problem. Still, if you are a transplant patient or are undergoing cancer treatment, this is a considerable concern that should be addressed immediately.
Black mold can be particularly dangerous because it releases mycotoxins. Most cases of mycotoxicosis result from eating moldy food rather than from inhaling fungal spores from homes or outdoors, but it is still something to be aware of and concerned about.
With all of the concerns that come from mold, it is vital to make sure you get any mold in your house removed as soon as possible. You can contact Rocky Top Restoration 24/7/365, because we know those home emergencies do not occur on the 9-5 schedule. Contact us immediately for your mold concerns, and we will get a team out to your home swiftly.